Thursday, April 2, 2015

Space Opera

Star Warssssss! I've always loved the series from when I was a kid. I remember telling my mom all about this really cool golden robot and his friend the trash can robot and their crazy adventures. Ha! Up until this year, I did not know that there was a genre called "Space Opera". I guess I always knew the genre existed but just never knew the correct term. It makes sense though. I always saw Space Opera as just Sci Fi. I  suppose there are defining elements that set it aside, making it more like a soap opera, having romantic, melodramatic adventures. (No opera music though- at least not yet!)

Space Opera seems to be a very hot genre of late. This past semester, it was the theme for the annual run illustration show. Also Dr. Who, Firefly, and Star Trek seem to be wildly popular with my generation. The media of television seems to be where this genera best grows, because in nature, the soap opera- like stories are episodical.

Although this week I took a chance to re-watch the original Star Wars trilogy. Having a new perspective on the genre offered an interesting/ enlightening perspective looking back.  I'm curious to try watching Firefly. I've heard good things, and I really like Buffy (Also Joss Whedon).  So much good content to explore this summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment