Thursday, April 30, 2015

Science Fiction Parody and Satire

This week I was pretty busy, but listened to the audio-book of Douglas Adam's, A Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy.  So, this book was delightfully weird. i remember some of the plot from the movie version, I'd watched years back. But I really remembered was a robot with Alan Rickman's voice. The story seems to definitely be a mix of sci fi and maybe bizarro humor. It's very witty, odd and enjoyable. I particularly likes how it treated the genre of sci fi, turning it upside down. The Vogon poetry is hilarious. The characters are enjoyable/memorable as well. Arthur Dent's normal-ness makes him relatable... and it creates an interesting contrast with the weirdness he encounters. I love Marvin the Paranoid Robot too (the one I remembered from the movie/Alan Rickman). Pessimistic but absolutely lovable and silly. The ship's infinite improbability drive is really cool as well- we all love to hold onto the impossible being made possible... very not so logical and rather fantastical for something rooted in science fiction. I got a kick out of this, and now I want to go back and re watch the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment