Thursday, February 19, 2015

A Rich Fantasy Life

Tolkien / The Hobbit

Ridley Scott / Legend 



(My sketchbook drawing of The Lord of Darkness from Legend)


Clear distinctions of good and evil
Class and race distinctions and roles

The Hero's Journey 

Joseph Cambpell / The Hero with A Thousand Faces 

This week I took the time to re read most of The Hobbit. I've been wanting to do this after seeing the third Hobbit movie that came out this winter.

I have to say, I enjoy this narrative as a book much more so than in the film. I've always loved the simplicity of Bilbo Baggins, his reluctance towards adventure and his triumphs in connecting to the greater world of Middle Earth through his journey. I feel that the film series over complicated what I loved about the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment